Hearing Loss Reasons: Things You Need to Know
Discover the reasons for hearing loss.
Can you imagine a world without hearing the beautiful sounds of a singing bird?
Or the waves splashing down on the beach?
Hearing loss is a serious problem and it may impair your life tremendously. Reasons for hearing loss are many and understanding them will help you to figure out which conditions may afflict you.
How Hearing Loss Is Caused – The Fundamental Reasons
Deafness is an issue that affects many people. There are various causes and in this article we outline them to help you establish if you could be at risk of developing loss of hearing. If this was caused by work you could also be due hearing loss compensation.
Causes of hearing deficiency are split into 2 categories; sensor neural and conductive.
Sensorineural audibility loss
is the result of impairment of the hair cells and nerves within the ear and your ability to pick up sound waves is inhibited. Here are the main causes of this form of hearing deficit.
1. Exposure to loud noises make the cochlea become less sensitive. The most common cause of this is due to work. Thousands of workers go short of hearing in their job even though your employer has to protect your hearing by law. If they don’t, workers are eligible to make loss of hearing claims against their employer. Jobs that hearing loss is common include construction, bar/club work, agriculture and printing. Noise induced loss of hearing is also a growing issue with people listening to music at alarming levels and thus require hearing aids.
2. Activities such as diving can result in pressure trauma to the ear. Your ear needs to preserve a certain pressure to function but diving will alter this pressure, which can cause damage to the ear.
3. Some drugs can have a negative affect on the nerves needed for hearing. This issue is usually temporary and subsides once you stop taking the drug. There is more probability of hearing issues if there is a history of hearing problems in your family. Your doctor should be aware of this before prescribing you. Drugs that can cause loss of hearing include aspirin, etocolac and amikacin.
4. People who suffer from head injuries are at high risk of suffering from hearing loss. This can be through direct damage to the hair cells or from poor blood flow to the ear. Hearing loss can go unnoticed as there are more pressing issues after head trauma.
5. Deafness can be caused by certain diseases. Vascular diseases have a negative affect on hearing as blood flow can be restricted to vital areas of the ear including the cochlea. Kidney disease has been found to cause hearing loss for a few reasons. Toxins that form in the kidney can harm nerves in the ear, there are large similarities between the tissue in the kidney and the ear meaning
6. Infections such as mumps, measles, herpes and meningitis can result in deafness. Mumps causes hearing loss due to swelling damaging the cochlea and this can be very sudden in relation to contracting mumps. Children are most at risk of deafness with mumps and measles which makes it more worrying. Meningitis is a distressing and sometimes fatal illness. Many people recover from it but then find out they have developed hearing problems. Meningitis its self and antibiotics prescribed can both result in hearing loss.
7. Aging can cause sensorineural hearing loss which is called presbycusis. This happens gradually and usually in both ears but not necessarily at the same time. Presbycusis affects a third of over 65 year old due to damage caused to the inner ear. Hearing aid center conducts all the procedures to assess the degree of hearing loss and befits hearing aids accordingly.
Conductive hearing loss
is a result of something preventing sound waves passage through the ear. It is common for this type of issue to happen in one or both ears. Here are the main causes of this type of hearing loss require hearing device.
1. Blockage of the ear canal is the most common cause of conductive hearing loss. An example of this can be from a build up of too much cerumen (earwax) within the ear. Excess earwax can be a result of stress, fear and anxiety.
2. Deafness can be the outcome of a punctured tympanic membrane (eardrum). This is a thin layer that helps protect the inner ear from the outside. A puncture can be caused by for example miss-use of a cotton bud. If the eardrum is damaged hearing is inhibited and also infection is more likely.
3. Infection such as otitis externa can result in deafness. This is commonly called swimmer’s ear as it can be caused by excessive exposure to water, which results the ear drum being infected by bacteria.
Omaha Hearing Aids[http://beltonehearingcenter.net/products/omaha-hearing-aids/] Lots of people incorrectly think that hearingaids create anything around them sound completely obvious and may resolve all their worries. The stark reality is that reading products allow...
Hearingaids are electric products in Billings, MT that aid notion of additional or talk looks, plus they are employed for moderate to reasonable to serious hearing damage by huge numbers of people. Cost is varied in by hearingaids based on digital functions, chosen...
Investing in a hearing support is definitely in acquiring elevated standard of living for those who have hearing damage, an essential step. There are lots of points to consider when choosing the best hearing aid, for example manufacturer, quality and cost, but among...